Now Open for Registration
Official Course Starting Date will be in July 2021
The exact date will be posted here as soon as it is available
Extensive Topic Coverage
Over 50 topics and 20 hours of learning material
Learn at your own pace
Additional scheduled live Discussion forums and
What you will expect to find in the Short Course: An Overview
In many countries, aquaculture is booming, yet gaining practical, straight forward knowledge about fish and shrimp nutrition for producing performance and profitable aquaculture feeds is hard to find.
If you are seeking this kind of information either because you are focusing specifically on making feeds for fish and shrimp or coming from another feed type industry and you would like to learn, this is the place to be. The Aqua Nutrition AgriSchool is a comprehensive course that covers all the fundamentals of fish and shrimp nutrition, the range of feed ingredients to be considered and why, along with useful insights for application to various Asian species provided by seasoned nutritionists and feed industry veterans.
You'll walk away with
Complete and practical understanding of the nutritional requirements of all the main warm-water species
How to utilize the various macro and micro ingredients to formulate performance and yet economical diets and once that meet the latest in environmental, legal and social requirements
Knowledge, library of not easily found material and a certificate of completion
Get to know about Aqua Nutrition
LESSON 1 Aqua Feeds: An Overview
Aquaculture has become a significant producer of healthy protein for a growing world population, and manufactured feeds have been a key driver of success. The biology and physiology of aquatic animals is different than land animals, and making feeds suitable for numerous fish and shrimp species is uniquely challenging. As aquaculture expands into the future, formulation of feeds made from sustainable ingredients that support rapid growth yet produce healthy, strong animals in high intensity culture will be essential.
LESSON 2 Fish Nutrition Requirements
To obtain optimal growth and health of fish, feeds have to have complete nutrition, with nutrients in proper balance.
- In this lesson series, we focus on requirements of key nutritional components, as well as the effect inadequate intake of any nutrient has on animal performance and immunity.
- In addition, we outline the changes in behavior, metabolic effects and disease states caused by known nutritional deficiencies.
LESSON 3 Crustacean Nutrition Requirements
Crustaceans are invertebrates with exoskeletons, with biology and physiology different than aquatic vertebrates like fish. Crustaceans undergo a periodic molting process which controls growth, and there are some nutrients that are uniquely essential to crustaceans that fish do not need.
- This lesson highlights the specific nutrient requirements of
- Marine shrimp
- Several species of crabs
LESSON 4 Special Review: Nutrient Requirements for Warm-Water Species
In this lesson, we pay close attention to the specific nutritional and feed needs of a number of important commercial Asian species such as:
Marine and freshwater crustaceans
LESSON 5 Aquaculture Nutrition and Considerations
This lesson’s lecture series covers several important concepts, such as:
- The classes of nutrients that provide energy, and how fish and shrimp generate and partition energy use in metabolism.
- Stress and less than optimal health status can increase the need for essential nutrients, or can make usually non-essential nutrients conditionally essential.
- In addition to feed quality, environmental conditions and animal behaviors can impact feed intake, which directly influences growth.
- Physical characteristics of feeds as well as feeding strategies need to be designed to meet the specific differences in morphology, physiology and feeding behaviors of each type of aquatic animal being farmed.
LESSON 6 Formulating Aquatic Feeds
The protein content of aquafeeds tends to be hgher than for livestock and poultry, so greater quantities of high protein ingredients are needed.
Furthermore, since feeds are dispersed in water for feeding, there are functional and physical characteristics such as water stability and whether a feed floats or sinks that depend on correct ingredient composition suitable for the extrusion and pelleting processes used to make feeds.
In this section, we focus on:
- The role of feed formulation in making balanced complete feeds having different physical forms
- Introduction to IAFFD an online database containing species nutrient requirements and ingredient specifications to assist feed formulators
- Different classes of ingredients
- Methods for determining ingredient quality
- Commonly found anti-nutritional factors and contaminants in ingredients
- New types of ingredients being used to make feeds more sustainable, including insects and single-cell organisms.
LESSON 7 Functional Ingredients and Additives
This lesson discusses a number of special ingredients and additives that may or may not have nutritional value used to:
- Improve physical feed quality and shelf life
- Provide attractive coloration
- Promote better animal health
- Reduce the effects of stress
- Boost immune response
LESSON 8 Aquafeed Certification
In many countries, aquaculture production is mainly exported, and feed and farm certification by recognized organizations has become an important requirement imposed by importing agencies.
This lesson introduces several of the most important certification agencies and compares and contrasts their certification requirements:
- Best Aquaculture Practice (BAP)
- Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC)
Supporters and Sponsors of Aqua Nutrition Online AgriSchool
Interested to support our industry through education?
Our goal is to bring top quality and industry-specific education to the grassroot level no matter where you are at your finger tips.
Join us for this initiative and give your organization exposure to the active and industry-specific audiences.
To hear why your business can benefit from becoming
Aqua Nutrition sponsor click here.
Our representatives are more than happy to share the sponsorship packages, upon your request. Please contact us to receive more information at email@example.com, or a chat box in this website
An online educational training that
helps your career development
The Progressus AgriSchools have always been focus on people development and always striving to help working professionals to continue to value add to themselves and the companies and organizations for whom they are working for. This online learning experience has been delivered with you in mind. Join a growing community of global professionals who have already benefited from the opportunity.
Overall aqua nutrition session was very good, all three facilitators explained about specific topic with proper answers also explained at practical level. Thanks to Progressus to conduct this this kind of short training program for improving this industry.
R. Rajendran, India